Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Live Blogging Returns

Well, when I have at least one person clamoring for more, I can't deny that.

9:24 Arrived late and missed the first paper. Today is off to a good start.

9:30 Why is it The Ohio State University and not just Ohio State University?

9:34 Whenever someone starts to mention inertial forces, I kind of start to tune it out.

9:35 Ooh, this paper is looking good! Comparing post-mortem human subjects with crash test dummies for knees. I hope we get some good and gory pictures of PMHS knees all cut open and stuff!

9:38 I love it when they put little movies in the presentations. Now I know how a PCL moves in the knee. I mean, it is the main load bearing structure to prevent lateral displacement.

9:44 Whenever he mentions knee sliders, I think of White Castle. Mmmm, I could go for a dozen sliders about now.

9:46 An imapct energy of only 125 J? Doesn't that seem a little low to you? Well, if the initial compression force is 1600 N, maybe it's not too bad. Especially with no eversion angle for the thigh.

9:48 Okay, if he's going to show picture of just a severed leg, did they really need to put a shoe and sock on it. That makes it ever freakier. Now I'm just hoping for a video of them impacting the knee!

9:49 And there it is!

9:50 Ouch, at 218 J there was a comminuted fracture. It looks kind of nasty. I mean, a severed leg potted into a block is weird enough, but to see it then all mangled? Ugh.

9:51 No standard devs for the data? I hate when they do that! Although I also hate when they do statistics on really small sample sizes like this, so he was bound to lose right from the beginning.

9:54 Yes! There are the nasty pictures of ruptured ligaments and stuff. Biomechanics rules.

9:55 Okay buddy, wrap it up. We gots to keep this train a rollin'.

9:57 So you can have large knee shear without large PCL disruption? Tell that to Willis Magahee (sp?). Or any other football player.

10:01 Come on people, we need to move on to the next paper, or I won't get my whole two and a half hours for lunch! Oh, come on, no more questions!

10:10 Man, another no show. I can't believe that more than 10% of the presenters so far have not shown up. Well, now I've got twenty extra minutes that I wasn't expecting. It's too bad that this guy didn't show up, because I was actually interested in the topic. I guess I'll just have to read the paper instead of seeing the presentation.

10:16 I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't have stayed up until 2:45 to watch The Jacket. First off, I don't think it's ever a good idea to stay up until 2:45 if you have to get up at 7:00. Second off, The Jacket sucks. It's supposed to be a psychological thriller, but it's more like a crapological non-thriller. If it had been Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle I so would have not regretted staying up.

10:21 I just realized that there are two White Castle references in this one post. As far as I know, these are the first two White Castle references in the history of A Ton of Bricks.

10:23 I just changed seats to be next to a power outlet, so hopefully I can keep this thing rolling all morning. Well, through the next two papers at least.

10:24 Bad news folks (for you anyway). The next paper is actually a good one, so I need to pay attention and not do any blogging. So here's the deal. I will jot down notes in my notebook and transcribe them to a pseudo live blog later. Don't tell anyone, but that's what I did yesterday too.

10:26 This one is getting pretty long. Don't blame me, you all asked for it, so you are going to get it.

11:07 That last paper was good. Totally worth the blogstop.

11:08 This is the last one of the morning session. He's talking a lot about coefficients and intercepts which, while important, do not make for compelling presentations.

11:09 I will try to do some blogging from this afternoon's session (in a new post), but it is on testing methodology. In other words, it is the perfect sleep aid. I don't need no freaking Ambien, all I need is A New Calibration Specification for Linear Displacement Transducers. Of course they have to put this one right after lunch.

11:11 I just realized that this session (Biomechanics part 3) had no unintelligible speakers! No wonder why I am still awake.

11:16 It's always good to reduce over-triage, right?

11:17 That basketball game last night was b o r i n g.

11:18 Urgent, urgent. Emergency. I mean urgency algorithm, that's what he's talking about. Too bad.

11:20 Actually, this would be really helpful for automatic crash notification systems. But since it incorporates occupant age, there might be privacy issues. Because I know my privacy is worth my life. Sure it is.

11:21 You know, the only thing that saves this room from being totally soul-crushing is the carpet. It has little flecks of color in it. Everything else is grey, with just a hint of beige. Even most of the suits are grey. Grey grey grey.

11:24 It's funny, but you can totally tell that this presenter is from Miami. He's just got that look about him. I expect to see him after the session wandering around with some bimbo on his arm.

11:26 Sorry, this goes back to earlier, but do you think the people that do PMHS tests ever play with their specimins? "Look at me, I've got a third leg!" That would be very tempting. Probably about the same level of temptation you face while playing croquet. Don't you just want to whack somebody with that mallet?

11:30 Dude, you are cutting into my two hour lunch! I know, I already lost a half an hour when I realized there would be more papers this morning. For the love of God, just let me go eat!

11:31 Looks like we'll have two more questions and that's it. It's time for me to shut down. I see you all after the break. In a new post. This one is getting too long.

5 comments:

Liz said...

QUOTE: Comparing post-mortem human subjects with crash test dummies for knees.

I had to read that twice... I thought you said post-MODERN human subjects.

Sonja Andrews said...

whoa ... Liz is actually reading this ... unlike me ... I'm skimming for laughs!! Although that was a good one.

kate said...

Wow. Okay, that's enough live blogging. :)
You're so right about the croquet mallet thing. We eventually had to get two sets -- an old and a new -- because my brother liked to bash everything with the mallets.
I just realized I have now left two comments on your blog about my brother. Why should you care? I dunno.
So -- serious question -- did people look uncomfortable or like they might pass out during those photos and videos? Sounds kinda messy.

[REDACTED] said...

Well, people here are pretty used to that sort of thing, and these ones weren't particularly gruesome. I have seen much worse at these conferences, believe me. So nobody really batted an eye.

Ryan said...

Hey, since the GMU basketball team reached the final four, should we start referring to them as THE George Mason University?