Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Let's All Gather 'Round

Well, if you didn't know, I go to church. Specifically, I go to a church way the heck out in Virginia (don't ask it's a, well it's actually a pretty short story, so go ahead and ask if you want). We are/used to be called Mars Hill Church. However, this week a new name is floating around. Get ready for it...... The Common Table.

What do you think? I think it's great. The whole "something Table" idea seemed popular with a lot of people and this is probably the best iteration. Another reason that I like the name is that it seems unpretentious. Amazing that it can seem that way while simultaneously incorporating every pretension we have about ourselves. Beautiful really. I mean, no one will ever confuse us with a "normal" church, you know the kind. It incorporates our pretension that we are open minded and accepting of everyone (excepting those not ready to leave "normal" churches, but they wouldn't come anyway, so it's a win-win!). It incorporates our pretension of not trying to be "cool" while simultaneously being a "cool" name. Excellent!

Some people were annoyed/upset at the way the name change thing went down, so I have a proposal if we don't decide on The Common Table: The CNAA Championship Tournament. That's Church Naming Associated Alliance Championship Tournament. Here's how it would work. We would take 64 ideas for names. Then we would rely on the Leadership Team to give those names seeds (1-16) in four different regionals. I propose that the regionals should be named as follows: Atlanta (would have the overall number one seed), Milwaukee, DC, and Seattle. Each member of the church would independently fill out one round at a time, 32 match-ups in the first round. After finding the winner from each match-up, we would move to the next round and do the same thing. Eventually, we would get down to the final four, then the final two, then VOILA! we have our name. Very efficient, very equitable. There might even be some 12-5 upsets. I doubt that a 16-1 upset would ever happen, but you never know.

So what do you think?

Also, if we are going to go with The Common Table, let's start the logo discussion. We have to have a logo, right? Anyway, here's what I'm thinking so far. These are just rough drafts, created in PowerPoint, so don't complain too much. And believe me, I've got a lot more ideas where this came from.



And look, it comes with or without the bread and wine!


Somebody that's good with Adobe illustratot could whip up this so that it actually looks good too, I bet. So come on everybody, start pumping out the logos!

6 comments:

Sonja Andrews said...

Heeeyyyyyy .... you know, I just "happened" to get some Logo software last week. Maybe I'll take a shot at it.

Personally tho ... I want to incorporate some of Matt's "motley stew" ... do you think I can get some old Motley Crue art? Would there be a problem with that?

Mike Stavlund said...

thanks for your thoughts, and for the logo ideas. And I know you're busy, but could you come up with something that's a little more 'zoso'?

[REDACTED] said...

Actually, I'm already on it. It's drawn, and I'll try to digitize it tonight. I've got time on my hands...

Ryan said...

Schuyler, the table might be a little too contemporary for the more traditional, liturgical types. Perhaps you could design something like a double pedestal oak table, where we actually can see the grain of the wood. Or maybe a table with ball and claw feet, which could convey an image of protecting those gathered around it. I also think that Queen Anne style chairs in a cherry finish around the table could go far in showing the desire for our traditional Christian roots. Would the chairs have cushions on them and would the fabric be solid colored or striped? After the logo is designed we need to get t-shirts, mousepads, mugs, and key chains ASAP, so we can launch our corporate branding campaign!

WMS said...

nice Ryan

Mike Croghan said...

quote:

excepting those not ready to leave "normal" churches, but they wouldn't come anyway, so it's a win-win!

:unquote

Not entirely true, mein kleiner Herr....

;-)

I like the logos!