Tuesday, April 18, 2006



Hola, amigos! I know it's been a long time since I rapped at ya, at least on this subject, but things have been gettin' a little crazy around here. Let's just talk about what I seen lately on the commuter train. The train that, once you get on, you may never get off, if you know what I mean.

Last week, I witnessed the most stunning example of dislikability all rolled up in one person. Here is a brief description. He was short, which, if you read Craigslist R&R, is as big a sin as guy can commit when it comes to women. He was fat, which is right behind short for things people hate about dudes. He was white (read boring). He has balding, but what hair he did have left was really long and pulled back into a ponytail. He was wearing stupid looking earrings. And here is the kicker: he crammed himself into a full train just as the doors were closing. At a run. Bodies went flying everywhere as his ample figure pushed them hither and yon. He didn't say "sorry," he just proceeded to take out some headphones and blast heavy metal for the rest of the train ride. I never thought I would see one person be so unlikeable. If you take any of the traits he showed, it wouldn't be so bad. But to put them all together like that? There's just no getting over that.

I bet he stands on the left side of the escalator too.


Second, this morning, I saw another of those bright young things that will either be destroyed or totally corrupted by this city and its political machinations. He was from North Dakota and is a part of some governmental thingy that he had to apply for. Of course, as he was chatting up this girl on the train, he made the requisite "I think I was the only one in North Dakota to apply, so I kinda got selected by default," joke. He was young, handsome, wearing a dashing dark suit, white shirt and red silk tie with a pin right on his lapel. He was the epitome of a young up and comer. But one statement gave him away. He said "I'm really interested in government, and politics and stuff." That's what people say when they come to this city and don't know what they are doing. He will be disillusioned by the end of his intern program or whatever it is. If he doesn't go crying back to North Dakota, he will forget what he said on the train and change it to something more like "I'm really interested in power, and money and stuff." That's the only way he'll survive here.

Mr. Smith never comes to Washington and lives to tell the tale anymore.

Of course, I am in no way qualified to make this kind of statement, so feel free to ignore me.

2 comments:

kate said...

Did the fat, balding white guy have palpable, powerfully bad body odor? That would probably complete the deal for me. Especially if he started cussing at people, or something. Awesome.
What think you of the new metro voice/chimes? I heard them for the first time just this morning.

[REDACTED] said...

You forgot short. But no, he did not have breathtaking body odor. The guy I sat next to yesterday on the way home sure did, though.

I haven't heard the new voice yet. I'm not sure if it's been deployed on the red line, and this morning I was listening to the Muppets, so I wouldn't have heard it anyway. I'll have to check on the way home...