Thursday, May 18, 2006

You Asked For It

So, after yesterday's long and meandering post I almost decided to stop writing about Japan. But then I received some very intriguing comments. Now usually I would respond in the comment section, but that seems kind of boring now. Anyway, here come some answers to all y'alls questions.

To Dottie:
No, I have not yet been to a Japanese gambling parlor, though your use of the word parlor is exactly correct. There is, in fact, one located just steps from the front of my hotel. It is called Parlor Ichiban, which roughly translates to The Best Parlor. I hope to have time to visit it. Others I have seen are called Parlor Jumbo and Parlor Exciting.

2. Though I have seen many vending machines, I have yet to see one selling dirty underwear. I will look harder when I go to the big city. It seems more likely that such a vending machine would be found where there are more people. If 0.0001% of the people in the world want to buy used underwear, I cannot reasonably expect a town of less than 1 million to have even one such person.

3. Unfortunately no, I have not seen a game show with girls vs. komodo dragons. There is a chance that during the brief moments I have had the TV turned on the host of such a show described what was about to happen and I just couldn't understand him. They do show baseball here though, which is kind of nice. Just like home.

4. Yes. Glowering is part of the official job description for bosses over here. You can't throw a rock without hitting a glowering boss.

5. No, not really. The funniest ones I see are just a little off from correct. Like this morning. On the train from Hikone to Notogawa (that's on the JR Biwako line from Kyoto to Maibara if you must know) I saw a building on which, in huge letters, was written the slogan "Creating Space By Designing." I don't know what they were designing. They didn't say. Also, the little bag that my rental cell phone came in has a patch sewn on the front that says "JOYFUL IMPRESSIONS: We create it for whole human beings."

To Liz: No I will not wait a minutes.

To Kate: Yes, it is inherently ridiculous. Also, do you own Lost in Translation? I want to borrow it if you do. I have a feeling it will mean a lot more to me now. Actually, I have more than a feeling. And now I can end this post rocking out to Boston!!

3 comments:

Liz said...

If Kate doesn't own Lost in Translation... I do. And yes, you can borrow it :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»