Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Game is Called Wait

You may or may not have noticed that I posted my 300th post yesterday without even mentioning it. I meant to, I just forgot on account of the jet lag that is still dogging me. I guess it's good that I'll be here for two weeks. It will take one whole week just to get used to the time change. It's quite strange to call the brickwife right before I go to sleep because she is just getting out of bed. I've already experienced the whole day that she is just waking up to.

Well that's not really the point of this post. All I wanted to say were some of the weird things that I've noticed in Japan.

First, whatever you are picturing in your head about Japan, be it crazy bright ads, vending machines everywhere, weird blocky architecture with tile roofs, trains that run exactly on time at the expense of all else, or whatever, you are exactly right. No matter how outlandish whatever you are picturing is, it's accurate. Seriously. I feel like I'm from a different planet. When I went to Europe, I felt out of place, but not even close to as much as I do here.

One thing that immediately jumps out you is the fact that they drive on the wrong side of the road. I hate it. I keep seeing cars driving at my taxi in the right lane and think "AAAAAHHHHH! We're gonna die!" Of course, this also has to do with the fact that the roads here are insanely narrow. Two-lane roads here in Hikone would barely pass for One-way alleys in the US. You have to drive on the shoulder (the very narrow shoulder) just to not crash with oncoming cars. I guess this explains why Japanese cars are so narrow. It does not, however, explain why they are so tall and stupid looking.

And there's another thing. Everyone here looks alike (at work anyway). Now, before you get all flusterpated and antsy because I just said all Asian people look the same (I didn't say that, but don't let that fact stop you from thinking I did.), just hear me out. I knew going into it that conformity was really important in Japan. I was not expecting everyone, be they administrative staff, HR, janitors, technicians, engineers or vicepresidents, to be wearing the exact same uniform. I mean, I can get past the fact that they all have the same color skin and hair (which is not quite the case in the US), but for them all to dress exactly the same? It's confusing, and I don't feel bad saying they all look the same. They do.

And they work. A lot. I think the standard work day here is about 12 hours (8-8). The thing is, they don't work fast. Americans work fast and get it done with. The Japanese (and I realize that this is another broad statement) don't care that they never get to see their families. Ato-san even asked if I was okay to be in Japan for two weeks, saying that Germans and Americans often don't want to be away from their family for that long, whereas Japanese guys don't care. On second thought, maybe making broad statements about the Japanese is okay. Since conformity is such a big thing, they are all pretty similar.

Speaking of work, the brickwife and I had a very interesting chat this morning (last night for her) Side note: I just started using gmail chat and I think it is the first time I have used any kind of chat software since 1997. We were talking about education and why Japanese students always seem to be better in school than Americans. She brought up a study that she recently read that said, when asked, American students said that the ones who succeeded were the "smart people." Japanese students, on the other hand, said that it was the "hard workers." Basically, that means that, in Japan, if you are not getting good grades, it's solely because you are not working hard enough, so you better work harder. So everyone works hard and gets good grades. The weird thing about this is that as the US has been falling farther and farther behind, our economy has not. Particularly, our innovation has not. It almost seems like Americans are more likely to go out on their own and Japanese folks are more likely to try to blend in. Oh. Wait. Those are actually good descriptions of US and Japanese culture in a nutshell. US=rebellious individualism. Japan=conform or die.

Well, there's a lot more to talk about. If you're curious about anything in particular (like poor Japanese people) just ask me in the comments. Otherwise you'll be stuck reading whatever else it is that I want to write about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The following questions, except the last, have to do with things I have learned about Japanese culture from TV.

Have you been in a Japanese gambling parlor? The kind where, even though gambling is illegal, you win a bunch of tickets (a la Chuck E Cheese), and then you go out of the building and into another building to reedem them for prizes?

Have you seen a vending machine where they sell dirty underwear?

Have you seen a reality game show where they make teenage girls strap raw meat to their foreheads, stick their faces up through holes in a table covered in a clear dome, and then wait for the komodo dragon roaming around on the table to come at them?

On Iron Chef, the challengers always bring along their bosses and mentors to glower at them from the guest area. That way, even if they cut part of a finger off while gutting a fish they will still press on in the food battle. Is this true in other arenas, such as gas stations?

Have you seen anything good you could contribute to engrish.com?

Liz said...

Dottie, one of the medical devices I help get cleared to market in the US was developed by a Japanese firm. In the user manual they had the following instruction:

Wait a minutes.

It’s subtle, but I’ve always enjoyed it. Does that qualify for engrish.com? I've never been to that site.

kate said...

Liz: That totally qualifies. You must visit the site. It is most awesomes.
Erin: Dirty underwear vending machines? Come again? Or, er, what?!?
Brickguy: I get an inordinate pleasure out of laughing at Asian culture. Thanks for giving me more ammo. Maybe it's because I'm evil. Or maybe because it's inherently ridiculous. You be the judge. I must go home and watch Lost in Translation again now.