Tuesday, May 30, 2006

List Tuesday: Advertisers' Fun Page Edition


Well, I made it back from Japan and have no interest in going back anytime soon. It feels good to be back in the "screw you" capital of the world. It's nice to know that when people crowd past you or in front of you on the road or in the subway, it's because they think they are better than you and are doing the cutting off out of individual, selfish aggresiveness. I much prefer that to the same thing happening in Tokyo where it happens because there is absolutely no concept of personal space in Japan. Of course, there can't really be such a concept in a country the size of Florida with 130 million people.

Anyway, last night, the brickwife and I were talking about the idea of personal space and individuality, the hallmarks of American culture. She asked me if it bothered me that I'm actually not very individual or different than a lot of other people. My answer? No, I don't really care. Advertisers and other social anthropoligists know me. They've never met me, but I fit perfectly into one of their little market fragments. They know what I like, they know how to get me to buy something and they know what gets on my nerves.

So here's today's challenge for any advertisers out there that read A Ton of Bricks (none that I know of): I will list 4 things about me and you have to tell me four other things about me based solely on the information I revealed. If all four things you tell me are accurate, you win!

Things About Me That Are Probably Very Revealing To Advertisers

  1. I drive a Volkswagen

  2. I use Apple computers at home

  3. My favorite current, scripted TV show is NBC's The Office

  4. I have and maintain a "blog"



So what else do I own/do/want?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not an advertiser. But:

1. You get your car's oil changed at Jiffy Lube or similar establishment
2. You eat out for lunch or dinner several times a week
3. You have an Ipod
4. You make most of your purchases with a credit card that offers frequent flier miles or other rewards.

Sonja Andrews said...

Also not an advertiser ...

1. You buy organic or whole foods.

2. You're probably concerned about the environment (hence the car).

3. You have or want a cellphone ... you may or may not have a land line. If you have a land line you could even be thinking about getting rid of it, because it's extraneous.

[REDACTED] said...

Dottie: I will give you three out of four. 1. Nope. We went with VW's Turbo Diesel engine, the vagaries of which we don't trust to Jiffy Lube type guys. We did once, but it didn't turn out real well. 2. Yes, probably 3 to 4 times in the average week. 3. Yes, but who doesn't? Apple sold some 20 million of the things last year, so it's not just my demographic. I'll let you have it though. 4. Yes, but we earn Disney Dollars usable at Disneyland, our favorite place on earth.

A.S: I'm not sure it's fair, since you actually know me personally and have much more information on me than was given here but....
1. Yes, occaisionally. I'm actually not that big of a fan of many organic foods because I feel the category is manipulative and ill-defined.
2. Yes. Not to the point of domestic terrorism, but yes.
3. Yes, but again, nearly everyone has cellphones. We do have a land line, but basically, we only use it for DSL access.

Liz said...

I don't have an iPod.

Sonja Andrews said...

I was trying really, really hard to pretend I didn't know you, and just work with the information you provided. That's why I only came up with 3 things. I kept thinking of things that included Maggie ... but then nothing you said included a wife or family so I couldn't say that. So I did try ... really.

As to #1 ... I agree. And here's the silliest thing I ever saw listed as "organic." It was in the Coldwater Creek catalog. It was (and I'm not kidding ... this is for true and real) an Organic Silver Bracelet. Not one molecule of carbon in the puppy, but they called it organic.

Liz said...

Actully, given the things on your list, I would have guessed that you were not married. A young, upwardly moble, professional guy, but not married.

kate said...

Wait a minute -- The Office is scripted? I thought it was a documentary.






(yes, I'm joking.)