Monday, May 22, 2006

Blast from the Past. FROM THE FUTURE!

Look, I know that it's not Monday any more (at least where I am) but I'm still going to do it.

Do what, you ask? Let me refresh your memory. It all started way back when. Two weeks ago to be precise, when I told a story from Kindergarten. Now do you remember? No? Oh well, I don't care. Today we are still moving on to first grade.

Two things about First Grade (ages 6-7):

1. There was a boy in my class who was really mean to me. He constantly picked on me. His name was Adam Palachuck, I think. Once, when our teacher, Mrs. Sjogren, got up and left the room for a minute (a bathroom break, probably) he actually got up, came over to me and, well, started choking me. I know that sounds really weird, but it sure feels like it was true. I really think it was. Another time, he brought a knife to school and showed it to me. I didn't know what to say. I don't think he threatened me with it, but he might have. I don't know what ever happened to him. I hope he turned out okay, though I have my doubts. What's weird about it is that I specifically remember seeking him out at recess because he seemed like he really needed someone to be friends with him, and maybe he thought I was his friend. But maybe that's not true, because it seems very sophisticated for a 6 year old. Or, maybier it's really not that sophisticated and we make it out to be more sophisticated than it is. The faith of a child, no?

Also, this would not be the last time that I would be specifically bullied. The last time ended with me receiving my only Referral to the Office in my whole school career. But you'll just have to wait a couple months for that one.


2. I was the fastest runner in my first grade class. Or maybe not. Maybe I was just the fastest among my few friends. The brickwife also claims that she was the fastest runner in 1st grade. While at one point that year we unknowingly lived only blocks from each other, we never went to the same school, so both of us could have been. However, we came up with the theory that every kid is the fastest in first grade. You only remember the races that you won. Plus, every kid wins at least once because 1st graders just do not have the dedication to sprint repeatibly. They just don't. So here's to all those who were "fastest in the first grade!"



Next week: Chocolate cake, silentball, math bees!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»