Saturday, July 02, 2005

Wait, no. I'm not ready!

So I heard the news this morning that Luther Vandross died on Friday. It's not that big a deal to me. I don't have any of his albums. I don't think I can even think of one song of his that was a hit. But still, it's never happy when someone dies.

What really got me thinking was the fact that he died at the age of 54. Both of my parents are at least that old (Brickmom is 54 and Brickdad is 56), and I am in no way ready for them to die. I don't want to sound selfish, since, to quote old Albus, death is just the first step into the next great adventure and to meet God is something devoutly to be wished, but shoot, I'M not ready for it. It's something that I haven't even given any thought. I mean, they're my parents, they can't die, right? My son is always going to have his grandma and grandpa, right? We'll always be able to go visit them and stay at their house, right? I'm not really worried about their health at this point. Brickdad runs like, 6 miles a day and Brickmom is probably as healthy as she's ever been. But what about accidents? Since I work in the field of automotive safety, I can't help but worry that a member of my family could easily be killed any day. I guess that's something we all have to deal with. It's just something that I don't really feel comfortable thinking about.

Anyway, Mom, Dad;I just want to let you know that me, Maggie and Levi love you very much. And don't go dying on us.

No comments: