Thursday, July 28, 2005

Poetry Thursday



On Foot I Had to Walk Through the Solar Systems
By Edith Södergran (Translated from the Swedish original by Stina Katchadourian)

On foot
I had to walk through the solar systems,
before I found the first thread of my red dress.
Already, I sense myself.
Somewhere in space hangs my heart,
sparks fly from it, shaking the air,
to other reckless hearts.


Till Fots Fick Jag Gå Genom Solsystemen
-Edith Södergran

Till fots
fick jag gå genom solsystemen,
innan jag famm dem första tråden av min röda dräkt.
Jag anar ren mig själv.
Någonstädes i rymden hänger mitt hjärta,
gnistor strömma ifrån det, skakande luften,
till andra måttlösa hjärtan.

2 comments:

Mike Stavlund said...

I like the original Swedish version better. And I'm toasting your Scandinavian sensibility with a cold piece of pickled herring.

Var sa god!!

[REDACTED] said...

I wish that I could read the Swedish version correctly, but I'm not sure I'm pronouncing the vowels right. But I got a whole book of this stuff, so maybe with enough practice...