Wednesday, July 13, 2005






Maybe I missed the memo, but judging from what I see on the train, flip-flops are now acceptable business attire. Approximately 40% of the women I see on the train are wearing them every day. Now some of these floppy shoes are pretty fancy, with rhinestones and embroidery, but the bottom line is that they are still flip-flops. This phenomenon is almost strictly a youthful one. Rarely will I see a women over, say, 35 wearing this footwear. Is it that young women today don't understand what's acceptable? Are they all carrying real shoes in their ubiquitous oversized, strap-covered bags? Or have the rules really changed? Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended by flip-flops or anything, I just didn't know they were acceptable.

To whomever is in charge of this kind of thing: what are the chances that it will ever become acceptable to not wear a tie? I mean, come on, aren't they just a little silly?

3 comments:

Sonja Andrews said...

Psst ... Schuyler ... they have their real work shoes in the bottom drawer of the desk at work. Sometimes their shoes are in their bags. But who in their right minds would take the metro in those killer work shoes. And ... you can take your tie off on the train too! I promise ... no one will tell.

Deanna said...

Actually, I've heard they're creeping into places flip-flops have never been before: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4673942

Mike Stavlund said...

If you are jealous of their footwear and freedom from ties, perhaps you should look for a job with one of the many environmental interests in DC. I know someone who wears shorts to work every day, and just keeps a suit in his cube in case he needs to go to the hill.
And it might not require a complete career change-- I hear they are trying to make seatbelts out of hemp.
Dude...