Sunday, July 03, 2005

My Fair Sideshow Bob

Over the last few days, the Brickwife and I have been watching the classic movie "My Fair Lady," starring Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn. Now for two quick asides. You may wonder why I say "over the last few days." Well, here's the deal, when you have a 21 month old toddler, you watch however much you can at any one sitting. And second, the movie may be a musical, but please, even if you absolutely loathe musicals, you should give "My Fair Lady" at least a try. I thoroughly enjoy it.

Anyway, the last song in the movie has Prof. Henry Higgins simultaneously lamenting and rejoicing in the departure of Miss Eliza Doolittle. The gist of his laments is that he has "grown accustomed to her face, like breathing out, or breathing in." He can't stand her, but he can't stand not to have her around. And then she comes back and it's all happy, blah, blah, blah.

So the movie ends, and I'm all "Hey, what's on TV?" So I turn on good ol' Fox 5 and find the last few minutes of a Simpsons episode. In five minutes I see a blimp-based rescue, a runaway parade float crash into a swordfish museum, a high-speed stilt chase, and a plot for vengeance foiled by inept cops (on stilts). You gotta love the Simpsons. And then, the last scene comes on and we find Sideshow Bob about to finish off Bart, a deed he has been planning and attempting for years. But at the last moment, he can't pull the trigger (it was a knife, but whatever) and he starts singing about how he's grown accustomed to Bart's face.

And I was like, "weird, man." Could it just be a coincidence that, within ten minutes, we had seen both the original song and the spoof version ON THE VERY SAME TV???? No way. I figure that the universe was about to "do me in" or something, but at the last minute, totally wussed out because it had grown accustomed to my face. Lucky for me I've got such a lovable face.

No comments: