Monday, July 18, 2005

Random Thoughts from a Tired Mind

People always laugh when someone orders a Big Mac meal with a Diet Coke. "What's the point?" they think. Well, by getting Diet instead of Regular Coke you can reduce your overall caloric intake at the meal by more than 20%.

Parking in the District is so much easier if you don't have any qualms about stopping wherever you want and turning on your hazard lights.

Why is it that almost every employer in the country provides free coffee? How did this start, and did the coffee cartel have anything to do with it?

When coffee is available for free, why do so many people insist on buying a Starbucks (or similar) coffee every day? At $4 a day, it can be a pretty expensive habit.

I think ending a sentence with any more than six exclamation points is overkill. Wow, really!!!!!!! See? Too many.

Yesterday at church I got to do the announcements (and a few other things). This is a post my father has held at his church for as long as I can remember. I guess it must just be in my blood. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind turning out like my dad. He's a pretty good guy. I think I'm going to avoid the bushy beard he had when he was my age though.

Nothing makes my day as much as when my son wakes up looking for me to give me a kiss.

I think mixing up old proverbial sayings is fun. Watch. Never beat a gift horse in the mouth. A bird in the hand is worth a pound of cure. A stitch in time spoils the broth. See how much fun that is? Okay, now you try.

Even if I became the most famous blogger in the whole wide world, I would still never write a book related to it because, come on, that's just stupid.

The new Harry Potter book was simultaneously unputdownable and disappointing.

It's practically impossible to go to Chipotle and not eat way too much. And no matter how many times you go there, eat too much, feel ill afterwards and swear never to go back, you'll do the same thing again.

When I was younger I used to play hackey-sack with my friends after school. What was I thinking? That game is so dumb!

No matter what anyone else says, I still think So I Married an Axe Murderer should be considered one of the top three comedies of all time. The other two are Some Like it Hot and The Jerk.

The worst comedy ever is definitely Master of Disguise, which is too bad because Dana Carvey had so much potential.

I think the best way to answer the phone is by saying "ahoy!" but I always chicken out and just say "hello."

Pirates were so two years ago. If I hear somebody over the age of 15 say "Aaargh, matey," I think I might not be able to stop myself from punching them.

Appetite for Destruction is a really, really good album.

I really love my wife.

3 comments:

Sonja Andrews said...

So ... inquiring minds want to know ... have you finished? Why was it simultaneously unputdownable and disappointing?

[REDACTED] said...

Well, obviously you want to finish it to find out what happens, but then, what happens really sucks and you don't learn much of anything and there are now more questions than answers so you feel kind of jilted. And yes, we finished. That is why I am so tired today.

Sonja Andrews said...

Well ... you know of my horrible habit of reading the end of the book before the beginning, so I know who dies. I've also read far enough to know about these horcruxes. And I know who the Half Blood Prince is (due to my horrible habit). So ... now I'm in a really bad place. I don't want to read the bad parts where all the bad stuff happens, because I know it has to happen. It's like Easter every year. I'm a really bad Christian ... I hate Easter ... well really so-called "Good Friday" ... why do they call it that? "GOOD" Friday ... there's nothing "GOOD" about it ... it SUCKS horribly ... doesn't everyone get it every year, Jesus has to DIE a horrible sucky awful tortorous death - there is nothing about this that can be construed as "GOOD" ...

So ... that whole rant was to say, how late did you stay up to finish it?

And what questions did you end up with?

And here's the biggie that I've been finding on the web today ... do you think that Harry is the 7th horcrux?