Friday, July 15, 2005

Perception

I think the one thing that brings us all together, in this giant crazy world, is that each and every one of us thinks we're better (morally, spiritually, culturally, financially, whatever) than at least one other person. In most cases, especially here in the land of plenty, we think we're better than almost everyone. Let me explain.

I spend entirely too much time worrying about what other people think of me. When I ride the train in the morning I worry that everyone on there is thinking that I'm just another yuppie who thinks he's hot stuff. A big part of this worry involves looking around and finding people that are even worse. "Well, at least I'm not like that guy," I think. And there it is. In that one little second I've decided that, somehow, that guy doesn't measure up to my idea of a good guy. I think "he probably drives a beemer, the jerk. He thinks he's better than me, but what he doesn't know is that I don't care if he thinks he's better than be because he's really not."

Does this all stem from my own insecurity? Probably, but I think there's more to it than that. Here in the US we like to claim we have a classless society and anyone can make it with enough hard work and if you don't work hard enough, well I guess you don't deserve it (Social Darwinism I think this is called). Part of this pervasive insecurity manifests itself in our judgments of others. We need to know where on the food chain we are in comparison to them. If we find them below us (I can not believe she is wearing that! Where are we, Alabama?) we marginalize them in order to make sure they know that we know we're better. If we find them to be above us, well that's when we bring out the old "yuppie" or "elitist" denigrations. That way we feel better about ourselves and we can say "Well, when I have that much money and/or power, I sure won't act like that!" But how much are we just fooling ourselves? I used to say that too. "Oh, I'll never spend so much money on something I don't need. It's stupid!" So why, now that I'm being paid more money than I really thought possible, do I find myself avidly browsing catalogs from Pottery Barn, or Williams-Sonoma, or other peddlers of over-priced folderol? On a side note, do you know how much I have given to charity this year? Actually, I think they have given me more than I have given them, what with all the free address labels I've received.

Why is it so hard to avoid falling into the consumer cycle? I honestly think that I'm pretty savvy about it and I still let it happen. At least I'm aware of it, that's something, right?

And to think that this post started off in my head as a social commentary on why yuppies and hipsters are so stupid. Maybe next time I guess.

4 comments:

Sonja Andrews said...

Amen, preach it brotherbrick ...

kate said...

Wow, I like this. Must've been posted just before I started reading.
I have been thinking a lot about this lately, in regards to myself. Why am I such a snob? Why is it necessary to note, and act on, another's perceived ignorance? (act on by thinking less of them, I guess.) Usually attitudes I've had in the past, and may have again.
Hmm... Can you tell I just had family visiting???
Anyway, thanks for the insightful post.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.payloansonline.com]online payday advance[/url]
This is the best way to get all your health products online like green coffee, african mango, phen375 and others. Visit now

[url=http://www.prlog.org/12063094-raspberry-ketone-max-where-to-buy-rasberry-ketones-max-in-australia-canada.html]Buy Raspberry Ketone Plus[/url]