Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Twenty-Something White Guy Answers (#1)




Well, let's get started.

Yesterday, I received the following email,

So, um what is your most embarrassing moment?

-a fan



Good question, fan o' mine, and here is your answer.

My most embarrassing moment happened just over five years ago. It is not a traditional most embarrassing moment in that I was not humiliated in front of a large group of people. Nor did I make an idiot out of myself on TV. Instead, I totally emasculated myself in front of the one person that I wanted to think I was manly: the brickwife, though she was just the brickfiancee at the time.

It was July 2000. I think. The first season of Survivor, which we were addicted to at the time, was just wrapping up. Anyway, we were at the beach in Washington State on a fishing trip with my parents and my younger brother. Quick story about that: My dad and my brother love fishing. Me? Not so much. How ironic (truly) that the two of them that so loved fishing were the two that spent the whole fishing boat trip throwing up due to seasickness. My mother, of all people, caught the biggest fish in town that day. Anyway, the night we arrived at our little cottage by the sea, the fiancee and I decided to take a walk around the cute little coastal town of Westport. We enjoyed our stroll, relaxing in each other's company. All of sudden, I hear a loud barking sound. Both of us glance up at the next block and see a couple of dogs. Let me rephrase that. She glances up at the next block and sees a couple of friendly dogs coming to greet us, tongues lolling. I see a couple of hellhounds set on devouring my flesh. The fight-or-flight instinct kicks in, and I decide to abandon all pretense and turn tail and run. Every man (or woman) for himself. Maggie will also be happy to point out that, not only did I turn and run, leaving her unprotected, but I also screamed like a little girl. Now the dog did chase me, but only because I ran from it. It probably thought it was a fun game. And from that moment on, I've never been able to put on a tough demeanor without Maggie knowing that it's probably a charade.

And that, dear readers, is the most embarrassing moment of my life.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Actually, there was only one dog. Do you really remember there being two? Hmm. Also, to be fair the dog was barking, only not really in a mean way. Hee Hee.