Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Return

Pathetic as it may be, I must say that I am glad to return to the etherland of blog posting. Not that I have anything important to say (come on, do I ever?). It's just that I like the clickety-clack sound of my fingers hitting the keys.

So anyway, we spent the first half of this week in Boston. It's, uh, not bad. Pretty cool city, but it really sucks trying to drive around. Especially in a big ol' GMC Yukon. In spite of that, we did some stuff. Went to Harvard Square, went to the North End, saw the old North Church. You know, tourist stuff.

The rest of the time, I sat in a conference listening to people present papers. What fun. I learned that teenagers are stupid, inexperienced, risk taking drivers. I learned that middle-aged people who die in car crashes are surprisingly teen-like in their driving patterns, and I learned that old people can't see well, can't drive well, and are very fragile. I also saw some pretty grisly autopsy photos. I think it's best to just avoid driving or riding in cars from now on. But if you must, and you have a booster seat age child (4-8, up to 80 lbs), put them in a high back booster seat, not a backless booster. That's all.

One final side note. I spent three days listening to people talk about traffic safety and injury. On the way home, United Airlines showed most of the first episode of a retarded new show called Three Wishes, starring Amy Grant. It's retarded for three reasons: heartstrings needn't be yanked so severely or often, it stars Amy Grant, and they do stupid things. Case in point. One of the three people they helped was a little girl that was severely (AIS 5) injured in an accident. She still has sections of her skull missing and thus has to wear a helmet all the time. They said that her head was hit by the bumper of the intruding car (left side impact at about 60 degrees from head on, very, very typical type of accident), but I would be a little surprised if it was really the bumper. It's far more common for heads to hit the intruding hood. Anyway, for her head to directly contact ANY portion of the intruding vehicle, I would bet that the car that hit her was an SUV (or pickup truck) because they ride so much higher. So what do the team at Three Wishes do next? They give a Ford F350 to the second of the people they are helping. Tragic irony. I guess [WARNING: Offense provoking statement coming] it just makes me angry how many people feel that they need big trucks. Do you really? They use more gas, they are a hazard to other people. What do you need it for? Yes, there are some people that actually need them. That's okay. But you, mom of three, do you need a Suburban? Why not a minivan? They're safer both for you (yes, it's true, size isn't everything) and for occupants of other cars. Have some consideration please. Also, I might note, about 25% of all traffic death occur in rollover accidents. SUVs are much more likely to roll over. You do the math.

8 comments:

Sonja Andrews said...

Way to go, Schuyler. I will second, third and fourth your motion. Almost nobody, but nobody needs the trucks and SUVs they have. And you are "dead" right about their hazards. And what you didn't say, was that there is something about driving them that makes people S T U P I D!! And I will not back down from that one. I've had too many near misses with people driving trucks for it to be coincidence.

Sonja Andrews said...

P.S. We're awfully glad you're back. Our little clique was getting sort of dry.

Maggie said...

I think they make people drive stupidly because you feel so disconnected to the road. You are sitting so high above it, it's easy to relax and not pay attention.
Also, I really liked Boston (I wasn't driving). It smelled good and the people there are much friendlier than the people here. It reminded me of a slightly snootier Seattle.

kate said...

Boy. Amen to Sonja's second statement. I missed my daily dose of Bricksense.
Boston smelled good! Interesting. In that fishy, coastal way? Or in a (gasp!) fresh air way? I really wanna get there. You know, before a natural (or unnatural) disaster wipes it out.
I think it's one of those (insert sociologically correct term here) deals where, because a few people have them, others feel they have to have them to keep up. In a safety sort of way. My mom (who, in fairness, lives in Anchorage, which you might be able to argue has a bit more reason, half the year, for such a rig) said she felt SO much safer after getting their SUV than in their low-end Infiniti. I believe she makes Dad drive the other car now.
Does this mean I'll be cast out of the clique if I buy that Hummer I've had my eye on? (yuk)

[REDACTED] said...

As a safety engineer, the appearance of safety is what bugs me. SUVs are not safer. And even if they were, they would be safer at other peoples expense. Instead of the crash energy beine relatively evenly distributed between both cars, it all goes into the smaller one. I've seen cars that are completely demolished when the truck or SUV barely has any damage. Save for the dent on the hood from the car occupant's head.

Maggie said...

Boston smelled like the ocean when we got there. not the Seattle fishy smell which I love, but more like oregon, the salt smell, which is pretty good too. I was disappointed though that it didn't smell like that the whole time. I'm not really sure why the smell went away, probably something to do with which way the wind was blowing.

Mike Stavlund said...

Welcome back!

Nail hit on the head: "My SUV is safer-- for ME"

kate said...

Mmmmmmmmm.
Reminds me of that Seinfeld where someone (Ralph Lauren? Polo?) steals Kramer's idea for a cologne that smells like the beach.
But there just ain't nothin' like the real thing. Home is home.