Thursday, August 18, 2005

Passing Around the Collection Plate

Hey! I just thought of something that I've never complained about OR called stupid since I started writing this blog: collecting things!

If you collect something, particularly unopened toys, now would be a good time to stop reading. Also, if you think I am cool and have been defending me as such to your friends, this would be an excellent place for you to stop reading.

Come on people! What a waste of money! Who are you going to impress by having a complete collection of the new Star Wars toys unopened? I used to have some, but I've since opened them all to play with. I mean, for the brickson to play with, yeah, that's it. I used to be a total dork, but I have since seen the light! It is a stupid thing to do. They will never be worth anything. They are not an investment. Stocks are an investment. Real estate is and investment. Mass produced toys in their original packaging are NOT an investment. Especially since there's about a million other people doing the exact same thing. Y'all can just spend the next 40 years ripping each other off, okay?

This seems like a good place to put in the disclaimer that this post refers to and mocks only those collectors that are over age 18. Collecting things should be a strictly childish pastime.

Here is my list of things that people collect and brief descriptions of how I feel on the subject:

  • New Action Figure/Collectible Toys: stupid and dorky

  • Old school Action Figures: Just dorky.

  • Shot Glasses: Unless you're an alcoholic, pointless.

  • Decorative Spoons: Why?

  • Baseball Cards: Retro Chic.

  • Card-based Role Playing Game Cards: Monumentally nerdy. That means you Magic: The Gathering.

  • Stamps: meh...

  • Scabs: Really, really gross. *shudder*

  • Midgets: Illegal, probably.

  • Diamonds: Supporter of death and destruction in Africa, you evil, evil person.

  • They Might Be Giants Albums: Totally and completely awesome!


  • There you go. Now how do you collectors feel? You got pwn3d! Maaaaaaan, I hate the internet and it's attendant base "language." Wait, I'm sorry internet, I love you, I really do! Don't go! Please!

    3 comments:

    Sonja Andrews said...

    I'm just pleased that funky salt & pepper shakers and feed sacks didn't make your list of shame. I feel so much better now.

    kate said...

    HA!
    Well, I do find inherent beauty in my mom's 1,000-piece collection Dept. 56 village(s). And I love to collect DVDs of my favorite movies -- does that count? If they have a purpose of sorts? If the collection isn't just for collecting's sake?
    They Might Be Giants albums -- do you have the kid one yet? I don't, but it's high on the list. Right up there with "Songs for Dust Mites," by Steve Burns (formerly of Blues Clues). But it's not for kids.

    [REDACTED] said...

    Yes, I, ahem, have, um... every single one of their albums. Including retrospectives and kids' albums. Laugh it up. And yes, I think DVDs are okay. It's just things that have no other purpose than being collected that I think are dumb.