Friday, August 05, 2005

Baseball, Steroids, Anger

So I was all poised to write a long post about the retardedness that is our national outrage over steroids in baseball and then this jerk goes and does it first (and much better, by the way). Dang you, guy-that-writes-for-an-actual-website-and-not-just-on-his-own-pretentious-"blog."

But there's still one point that he didn't cover that I would like to discuss.


Listen closely now, all y'alls.



BASEBALL IS A GAME!

That's right. It's not high-level politics. It's not life and death. It's entertainment. Are you going to tell me that you didn't glue yourself to the TV every time McGuire or Sosa were at bat in '98? (This only applies to baseball fans, and if you aren't a baseball fan, I don't care what you have to say anyway. So there.) Are you going to tell me that you would have rather had game 7 of the 2003 ALCS end at 6-4 after a boring final two innings and not see Aaron Boone jack one out to win the game? I even hate the Yankees and I still prefer to see them win in dramatic fashion (I mean, I hate the Red Sox, too, so why do I care who wins?)

The bottom line is that you pay money to be entertained at the game, and steroid-enhanced players are more fun to watch. Are some of them idiots? Abso-bloomin-lutely. So are some of us. Are some of them total *******? (edited for content since this is a family site) Of course, but we don't have to deal with them on a personal level, so who cares? Let them play the game however it needs to be played to entertain us. That's what matters.

And to those of you who claim that ballplayers were better and more upstanding than the current crop, you don't know what you're talking about. Ty Cobb? Racist jerk. Mickey Mantle? Drunken idiot who could have been the best EVER but instead never lived up to his potential (and you think watching juiced up players play is a rip off!) Most players before (heck, even for awhile after) Jackie Robinson made his debut? Racist, and thankful they didn't have to compete with the Negro Leaguers. So get off you high-horse and have a $7.50 beer and just enjoy the show.


P.S. Palmeiro used steroids, I don't care. Palmeiro lied about using steroids to Congress while under oath. What a tool. I say send him to jail (for the lying, not the steroids).


close:angryrant

4 comments:

Maggie said...

You sure are alienating a lot of readers there, Mr. Yankees-and-Red-Sox-Hater. Also, come on, what about the kids? Baseball players are big time role models. Maybe if we just didn't know about the steroids? Also, if baseball is just entertainment and they should do anything in their power to entertain us, what's to stop it from becoming Professional Wrestling?

[REDACTED] said...

Arrgh. Stop shooting me down! Just because you are more rational than I am doesn't mean that you need to rub it in.

But you do make some good points about the role model issue. And I guess I'm not saying that they should do anything to entertain us. I just think that some people are taking this too seriously. Steroids will not end life on Earth as we know it. Every era of baseball has its bad sides.

if you haven't read the story I linked to, please do. It's much more evenhanded and has a much lower level of sleepiness-induced ranting.

Love,

Brick.

Sonja Andrews said...

Wow ... you are very funny. Here I've been worrying about the rape and pillaging in Darfur, but there's obviously much more important things going on right under my nose here in the good old US of A. Wouldn't you know it.

kate said...

Dude, if it's for our entertainment -- and I must assume we're to be entertained while sitting there, in person, as that's how they wring those $7.50 beers from us -- could they please at least THINK about making the seats big enough for the average person to sit in? Okay, I'm a little tall for a chick, but I think I'm fairly normal as far as the overall populace goes. And I felt like, if the person in front of me turned around... Well, with their face where it would be, it would no longer be a family-friendly gig, if you know what I'm sayin.'
Ewwwww.