Monday, August 15, 2005



Every once in a while, I'll see someone on the Metro who is decked in out in full military resplendncy. I'm not talking a run-of-the-mill desk job uniform, I'm talking about full camouflage, pants tucked into boots, bars on their chests. The full monty. Once, a whole crew of fresh-faced young army men boarded the train at Metro Center. They were all very polite, which was refreshing and forced me to assume that they weren't from around here.

Whenever this happens, I feel a little intimidated. On my normal commute there are no reminders that I'm doing absolutely nothing to serve my country aside from paying taxes. Oh, and you government workers, you're not either. Well, maybe a few of you are. But in these instances, I'm forced to come to terms with the fact that I am nothing but a working schmuck, out to make a buck. And much bigger bucks (I assume) than these kids that are out firing guns and getting sent willy-nilly to hostile foreign nations. They have guts that I'll never have, and that makes me feel bad. I feel like I should do something. And by something, I don't mean put one of those stupid yellow ribbons on my car. And by something, I don't mean saying that if you don't support the war "You must hate our troops!" But forgive me, I am getting close to violating my NO POLITICS credo.

So, in closing, I would just like to say to you armed forces guys: Keep up the good work. And I bet chicks really dig a guy in those uniforms.

No comments: