Sunday, August 07, 2005

Church vs. Change

One of the things that I love about our church is that, from week to week, you never know how different the services might be. For example, we often have discussions during the service so that if anyone has anything to contribute, they're welcome to. Trust me, it's not as weird as it sounds; it's actually quite natural. Other times we may have one of the design team members dress up as a biblical character and act out/tell their story. Okay, so that just happened once, but still.

Anyhow, today, we took a page from the Quaker worship book. For those of you not familiar with Quaker-style, this means that we sat around waiting for people to say things. Well, it's not exactly like that, I mean, we wait for God to speak to and through us. So we're sitting there and David gets up and sings Amazing Grace (he was also a suprisingly good singer), and then Erin got up and sang a song of her own crafting. A couple other people spoke too. It was pretty cool, really. But here's the problem: someone turned my reverence control knob down to zero. All the time that we were waiting for other people to speak, my mind kept going back to stupid things that I could get up and say. Like this: I go up to the microphone at the front of the room and, in all seriousness, say "It's a long ways to the top if you want to Rock and Roll," and then sit back down. Or maybe standing up at my seat with my eyes closed and speaking in some ridiculous sounding "tongue:" "Grashanick KALMAAR TAG HORFRAGGARANT etc." and then sitting back down. Seriously, what is wrong with me? Everyone else was being all sincere and thoughtful and reverent and it was all I could do not to start laughing in my seat.




In all honesty, I still think doing something like that would have been utterly hilarious, but these people are my friends. I don't want to offend them.

2 comments:

Mike Stavlund said...

I think the Lord might have been speaking through you, brother. For that AC/DC lyric also happens to be the message of Moses' life, is it not?
And my interpretation of your 'tongue' ("Schuyler's blog is a sweet scent in my nostrils") seems to fit as well.
Do not castigate the voice of the Lord, and do not quench the Spirit!

Sonja Andrews said...

I sit here on the porch of camp in the presence of my atheist parents and want them to read this post ... really, it's what we're all about. At least you were thinking something ... I was trying very hard to not fall asleep.