Monday, January 30, 2006

The TSWG is Back With A Vengeance



I couldn't believe my eyes this afternoon. There, in the inbox for the highly regarded and unilaterally ignored Twenty Something White Guy was an actual question. I know. I didn't think it could possibly be true either. It's the first one the TSWG has received in over 4 months. Wow.

So, in the fleetingly mortal words of SB, "here I come, back from the dead. Oh, holy crap!"

THE QUESTION:
Did you know there's a town in New York called Schuylerville? Would you ever consider vacationing there just to get a picture of yourself in front of the town sign?


THE ANSWER:
No, but it doesn't surprise me at all. There seems to be a whole raft of place names similar to my given name in that part of the country. The Schuylkill Mts, the Schuylkill River, etc. It must be the Dutch heritage present both in that area and in my name. I'm not Dutch, mind you, just my name. I'm more German than anything with just a little bit of Native American thrown in for good measure. Also, I am aware that there is a "Schuyler" county in New York, possibly in which Schuylerville sits. The reason I know this is that if you Google my name (oh, come on, like you've never done that with your own name. Don't even try to deny it.) Most of the results come from lists of New York counties. It just so happens that when you arrange NY counties in alphabetical order, Schuyler county is followed immediately by, you guessed it, St. Lawrence county. And that just makes finding my blog harder, dang it. Because I'm sure people search for me all the time but never find my writings because they are buried on the third page of results. It's highly unlikely that anyone ever digs that far because, come on, Googling people you used to know is a half-hearted commitment at best.

And to the second question, probably not. If I really wanted that picture, I would just doctor this one to show me hanging off the telephone pole or something.


I WOULD, however, visit Schuylerville in order to see the Saratoga monument, the tallest free standing obelisk outside of Washington DC (maybe, I didn't actually check this fact). I guess you could say this monument is so-o big!


Finally, I have no idea why, but the following image shows up in a Google image search for Schuylerville

2 comments:

kate said...

And I've been meaning to ask: What manner of toy do you have that said "Sooooo big!" in the first place?

[REDACTED] said...

It's just a talking stuffed dog that sings songs or says things when you press on various body parts. If you press on one of its hands while it is in "talk" mode, it will say "so-o big"