Monday, October 24, 2005

Dear Prudence

So, yesterday at church (check out the new website!) we talked a lot about worry, trust and life. Since we're looking at the sermon on the mount, we focused on the lillies of the field and the sparrows and what not. During our post-"sermon" discussion much was made of the balance between no worries and meeting our responsibilities. Or how worry could sometimes be a good thing. But I don't think I agree, and that scares me. Let me explain.

No matter how hard we try, I don't think we can divorce ourselves fully from our cultural frame of reference. We always have and always will (at least to some degree probably) desire what can only be called "success." I know I do. That's why I worked my tail off for four years in college to finish at the top of my class with a lucrative degree. Success. Bred through a lot of worry. If you don't believe me, ask Maggie who was there to see it all, including the time I kicked my backpack across the apartment when I only scored 4 percent above average on a Dif. Eq. test. But what was the point of it all? To have a good job? Sure, but what's the point of that? In God's eyes, am I any more of a success because I used fear and worry to differentiate myself from those that "sit at home all day playing the guitar?" I don't really think so. Aren't we explicitly told not to fear the wrath of men? Actually, that's not a rhetorical question. I don't know the bible nearly as well as I think I should (crap! worrying again!) so if someone could enlighten me as to whether or not that idea appears anywhere, I would greatly appreciate it. So, what does it boil down to? I'll distill it to one question that I have: Is there ever a valid issue about which to worry? I'll posit that the answer is no, but that won't stop me from doing it.

Second, I want to look at the idea of prudence. We talked a lot about not worrying, but still meeting our obligations. What obligations? Do we have any that outweigh God? Who cares about the ant and the grasshopper? I can't find any mention in the sermon on the mount that asks for prudence when it comes to money especially. Jesus didn't say to that one guy "Go sell all your possessions, set up a trust fund for your kids and make sure they have some insurance and then follow me." He just said "sell everything and follow me." It seems pretty ridiculous to think that Jesus really meant that, I mean, we can't just abandon everything, can we? Should we? Shoot, I don't know, but I do think it is a typically American thing to think that we can't. That we need to provide prudently for the future, as though by preparing we can somehow stave it off. I guess maybe it all boils down to attitude. If you can prepare monetarily for the future without letting money rule your life, do it. Also, my ignorance may be rearing its ugly head again, so if Jesus ever does say something in the gospels that advises prudence and planning for the future, someone please bring it to my attention. Because I am scared out of my wits that it's not in there and I don't think I can sell everything and follow him....

4 comments:

kate said...

Okay, I don't know. But I do have two comments. Or, one question and one comment.
Question: My balance is similar. How can I be content when it feels like my very nature seeks improvement? When I feel reasonably sure that God means for me to seek to become more like him, which is darned sure an improvement on my current self? I guess content with some things, but not others... Tough balance for me. I feel a lot of conflicting messages in this area.
Comment: I heard it said once -- some sermon or Bible study somewhere -- that this 'sell everything and follow me' example might -- MIGHT -- be due to this set of specific circumstances. That it probably isn't a catch-all command for everyone. In this example, Jesus had entered into his time of ministry. Which lasted three years, at most. I don't recall offhand how far into the ministry this encounter occurred. But the point I heard made was, this guy was worrying about burying his father or somesuch, and Jesus was saying, Hey. Listen. I don't have TIME for you to mess with that. That will always be there. I will not. If you would like to make a difference for me, you must leave NOW.
I can believe that there are times in our lives where Jesus says that to us. But I don't think it's to be assumed that that's all the time. Or that, for instance, you need to pack up and leave Maggie and Levi and go fast and pray on some hillside. Or even that all three of you should. You know?
Love the entry title, by the way.
-- Prudence, uncertainly

Sonja Andrews said...

It's not in there.

Jesus does require that you sell everything and follow Him. Be radical.

That's the bad news.

The good news for all of us who find that too difficult is that He gives to us abundant grace to do it in little bits and pieces. To daily take up our cross and follow, and that cross changes each day. What we can carry changes ... what we can do, what we can be ... it all changes each day that we choose to more fully follow Jesus. So ... it's really more about our attitude than a rule. Which I suppose is why the word "gospel" means "good news."

Liz said...

I've been thinking about this for a couple of hours and I really don't think Jesus requires everyone to sell everything in order to follow him. I don't think you can take one passage and extrapolate that to all of life everywhere.

First off, I think we have to look at the spiritual gifts stuff... God doesn't give everyone the same gifts. Why then should we assume that God asks each of us to follow him in the exact same way? If some people are going to be healers and some people teachers; how could you expect the teachers to heal and healers to teach? It just doesn't make sense. I think we all have to be willing to give up everything for God; but we have to also listen for our own calling.

The other thing that comes to mind is Jesus' teaching to be as wise as serpents but as gentle as sheep. In this context I would read that to mean there is nothing wrong with providing for your responsibilities and obligations; i.e., to be wise. Just don’t make the focus of your life and don't worry or ruminate (I love that word) on it.

One final thought... maybe reality and metaphor can be mixed. I mean maybe it's a true story that Jesus said sell everything and follow me, but maybe that reality for one is actually a metaphor for the rest of us. Maybe it's the act of following your true calling that is how you give up everything. You give up your own hopes and dreams and goals to follow the will of God... to make that your life's goal.

These aren't really answers… just my thoughts on the subject (or perhaps my justifications for not selling everything.)

Maggie said...

Okay, here are my two cents on the sell everything order, I don't think that it was a command at all, not even to that particular guy. He was following Jesus and doing well and he wanted to know what the next step was to do even better, like we all do. So Jesus told him what else he could do. He wasn't ready to do it, but that doesn't mean he left Christ and went off to live life as a sinner. He went back to what he had been doing and that was probably all right with God. Just as someone who considers going to practice medicine in a third world country but decides to stay here and keep living a regular churchgoing christian life is not doing something wrong. He is only doing something less great. So, yes, giving away all our possessions to the poor and living on whatever God gives us would be great, but that doesn't mean that that is what we have to do. And, the wise man builds his house on the rock so that it can withstand the storm. I know that it is a metaphor, but it works because the literal meaning is true.