Thursday, October 06, 2005

Bad Poetry Thursday




No genre today, just some of my awful, bizarre, and ultimately meaningless poetry. Seriously, don't read anything into it. I wish I lived in the 20's because then I could write ridiculous crap and just call myself a surrealist and the literati would eat it up. Probably with some absinthe.

The Day The Earth Stood Mostly Still
by Schuyler

On the day that the whole earth
almost stopped moving
my feet were swollen up with pride
and in my hand i held a dearth
of worms with compasses inside
which by way of that were proving
that a worm can be a navigator
and tell north from south and east
but not west.

The dogs on my block all
ate their breakfast at a very unusual rate
and the food all spoiled rotten
in their dishes in the hall
of neighborhood houses long forgotten
by the owners of the dogs that ate
the flesh of the owners
of the neighborhood houses
who had fallen into their dogs' plates.

The sun shone down on metal
robots made of metal gleamed
in sunlight cast from nuclear reactions
and absorbed by petals
on the flowers whose pigments came in fractions
of the colors that I saw in a dream
i had the day the earth
came to a halt and sent us spinning
off into space.
Almost.

2 comments:

WMS said...

schulyer, you take the cake with this one. :)

[REDACTED] said...

Ooh, do you have some cake? I wants me some cake!