Thursday, October 27, 2005

Ahhh, that's the life...

I decided that if I could be any rock star in history, I would be Tom Petty.

First of all, the brickwife thinks he's sexy (don't ask me why, I mean, have you ever seen a picture of the guy??) so I'd have that going for me.

Second, he's a musical genius, but not in the way you usually think of that term. I would wager that half of his songs are in the key of G. The other half are probably in Am. But that's the beauty of this guy! His songs are so simple, yet so good! Almost every one is verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, verse, chorus. And yet somehow, they're all different! It rules. Also, he doesn't mess around with weird instrumentation either. One or two guitars, a bass, drums, maybe some keys of some kind, and that's it. That's the great thing about the "standard" rock band set up, it's so simple, and yet so variable.

Third, he's just famous enough. He doesn't have any rabid fans (think parrotheads or U2 fans) that are total lunatics, but he's definitely got a lot of fans. He still plays big arenas, but the tickets are relatively cheap.

Fourth, he got to be in the Traveling Wilburys. How cool would that have been to work and record alongside Dylan, Orbison, George Harrison and Jeff Lynne? Pretty damn sweet.

Plus, I bet he has a lot of money.

Which I don't care about.


Yes I do.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

Um, I think he worked alongside Jeff Lynne before he was in Traveling Wilburys. And I can't believe you gave away my secret;)

[REDACTED] said...

Actually, I thought so too, but when I looked it up, I found out that he was in ELO and didn't record any albums with Tom Petty until AFTER the first Wilburys album (Full Moon Fever-1989 and Into the Great Wide Open-1991). Wilburys Vol. 1 came out in 1988.

Sonja Andrews said...

This has to be one of your best posts ... EVER. EVER.

Tom Petty is one of my favorites too. For all of the reasons you've given. And Maggie's too. For some strange reason, Tom is sexy.

And ... I love the Traveling Wilburys. I would listen to them as much as I listen to U2, except I can't buy them at iTunes so I don't have them digitally.

I also love Roy Orbison. My dad loves Roy Orbison and if you ever meet my dad, you will find out how much of a warp in the universe that is that we like the same music.

I love this post!!

[REDACTED] said...

Hey, we've got the Wilburys (Vol. 1 anyway) on CD (which is out of print) if you want to borrow it. I've been rocking them on my iPod all day.

Sonja Andrews said...

Yes!! Yes I do want to borrow it, then I can rip it into ... oh ... well ... I guess I shouldn't say in public what I could do. I want to borrow it so I can **listen** to it one more time. I miss those Wilburys.