Thursday, October 19, 2006

Unimaginable Fun in Chicago

Hey, did you know that Chicago is an awesome and fun city? Yeah, me neither because I had to spend my 2.79 days there either in a conference, eating dinner with people from said conference or sleeping. Well, I read some books too. And I stayed in a really dumpy hotel too. The shower curtain bar fell out of the wall, as did the towel bar. There was no toilet paper on the holder when I checked in. The paint was peeling and mildewy, and thank goodness I didn't have a black light because who knows what kind of stains I would have uncovered on the bed.

By far, the highlight of my trip was seeing the two apartment(?) buildings that are on the cover of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot album. That was awesome. The second highlight was looking at the John Hancock building. Not going up to the top, just looking at it. It was pretty sweet. It even has a Jamba Juice on the bottom! I didn't go to said Jamba Juice store, nor have I ever been to one, but still. The third highlight was, um, eating at a ridiculously yuppified/touristy restaurant downtown called Carmine's. Well, eating wasn't that great. What was great was that the maitre d' was wearing two ties, one on top of the other. I gotta try that. The fourth highlight was when we were driving back to the crappy hotel from the nice conference hotel and we thought we were on Erie St. but were actually on Huron St.! I couldn't stop laughing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

were the ties tied together in the same knot?

[REDACTED] said...

No. It was the weirdest thing. The bottom tie looked normal, buyt the second one was basically just draped over top of the first one.

kate said...

Sounds like a blast. Was it windy?