Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Day-glo Vu

I meant to say this earlier, but I, uh, forgot.

The third weirdest thing happened to me yesterday. I thought I had managed to invent some sort of telekinetic teleportation technology because one moment I was in Detroit, and the next, seemingly, I was back in Washington DC!

It all started at the Detroit Airport security line.....
This one woman started asking the TSA lady why the government isn't able to control what goes on the arrival/departure board. The TSA lady responded by saying that asking that question means you are ignorant. Taking offense, the other lady is all like "I'm ignorant? Did you even go to high school?" "Yes" "Well, did you go to college?" "Yes" and then the non-TSA lady goes through the metal detector and the TSA lady, in full ear-shot of the rest of us in the line, calls the woman a, and I quote, "fucking ignorant ass."

Seriously, it was like being back in DC! Imagine my dismay when I found out that I was still in the wrong airport. It was as bad as this one time when I woke up in the middle of the night, only it wasn't the middle of the night, it was about 2 PM and I was stuck to my non-ergonomic chair because I forgot to take the peanut butter sandwich out of my wallet and sat on it by mistake.

Fully 95% of the people here fall into these two categories:
  1. Wear a government-backed badge and think they can do whatever they want and you had better jump right in line or out of line if they want to go first (the TSA woman)

  2. Have a "powerful" job and think that that means they are far above the inferior rabble that have regular jobs (i.e. the whole "Did you even go to highschool?" comment)



The other 5% of people in the DC area are those like me who do not act like either of the other two groups.



And think that we are so much better than them and feel smugly self-superior.



Just like the other two groups.

1 comment:

kate said...

What? What about all the people in D.C. who feel the world owes them a living for other reasons? Reasons unrelated to jobs and education?
Sorry. I'm on an anti-panhandler tear lately. Just sick of it, I guess.