Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Lazy Days are Here Again

I hate having a head cold, well more of a severe neck cold than a head cold but whatevs. My brian gets all slow-moving and garbled. So in honor of that, I'm going to pull that old lazy-blogger trick out my hat: link to a story and/or article written by a real journalist. Side note: all you bloggers that think you're a real journalist because you write about the news and post links to actual news stories? You're not journalists. There I said it.

Anyway, the article was published in the Seattle Times last week in reference to the Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas "war" being fought by the inimitable Reverend Falwell. I think it's really funny, especially this part..

"I went into Macy's, with its blasphemous "Holiday Lane." Reverend, you'll be proud to hear I marched up to a clerk and barked your question: "Christmas, friend or foe?!"

She pretended not to know what I was talking about. She replied: "So, all ready for Christmas yet?"

She said "Christmas" as if it was something to ward off, like bird flu. I made a note to report her as a "foe," and ran out."

And on a second, sadder note, please see the follow up article that was published today.

4 comments:

kate said...

Oh my oh my.
I was wondering the other day if people who prefer "Happy Holidays" realize where the word "Holiday" comes from. I mean, okay for those being inclusive. I just wonder if any atheist types are fond of that phrase.
Then again, who cares. I don't need other people to be okay with Christmas. It doesn't affect my faith any.
Then AGAIN ... what ARE we supposed to say to folks? Is it rude to say Merry Christmas, then, at this point, if I don't know their religious beliefs? I don't know how I feel about that. I mean, I really don't. I don't want to be offensive. But, is it offensive to wish someone a nice occasion in the way that I celebrate it?
Oh, and Schuyler. I'm a journalist, darnit, no matter what I do on my blog. I will shake my Edward R. Murrow School of Communication degree in your face if you doubt it. (kidding. It's in storage somewhere, but don't test me)

[REDACTED] said...

Kate, I didn't mean to impugn your journalistic credentials, in which I have full confidence. I'm talking about those bloggers that do not have a journalism degree, have never worked for an authentic media producer and call themselves journalists because they post links to news stories that others have written. You are not one of those.

As to the comments about what to say, I don't think it's rude to say "Merry Christmas." I think those who are offended by that utterance are way off base. Just like those that are offended by "Happy Holidays" because it takes the Christ out of Christmas. Is rampant consumerism and ridiculous fiscal excess really what we want to be associated with Christ anyway?

Sonja Andrews said...

I actually like the idea of saying Happy Holidays. It totally separates Christ from this whole other tradition which we call Christmas, but which now has so little to do with Jesus that my atheist parents feel comfortable celebrating it. So I say Happy Holidays with laughter and impunity. If I know for sure the other person is a Christian I say Merry Christmas. Sometimes I say Happy Hannuka. If I'm grouchy I say nothing at all.

WMS said...

I'll shake my journalism degree at you TOO Schuyler! hahahah... And mine is ON MY WALL! I'm so proud cuz I'm so undereducated for the greater DC area! I know from my friends at Washington Community Fellowship that the average attender there has an AVERAGE of 2 masters degrees... wow!