Monday, November 07, 2005

And That was the Week(end) That Was

Normally, I wouldn't just write a post about things that happened to me, but I feel like doing that today. So there.

I'm not usually up at 7:15 on Sunday mornings, let alone outside walking to the Cleveland Park metro station, but yesterday, that's exactly where I found myself. It's a little weird being out early on a Sunday. Every other day of the week an early morning walk puts you on the road with the poor and the servants that we don't want to see during the day. The janitors and the lawn care guys, mostly hispanic. But on Sundays, even they get the chance to rest. The roads were nearly deserted, the cars silent. If you're walking down Ordway St. from 34th to Connecticut, you get to a point from which you can't see either of those streets. As I walked that brief section yesterday with music in my ears I saw a cascade of golden leaves falling onto the road and the cars parked all along it. It seemed that everything was still except those leaves falling, and I wondered, how long would it take before evidence of our society would disappear? How long until those cars parked in gapless rows along the road rusted beyond recognition and were buried in fallen leaves? How long until the streets which we carefully maintain (or not so carefully, i.e. the Nebraska Ave North to Massachusetts Ave East turn at Ward Circle) became shattered crumbs of asphalt and concrete with tree roots spreading relentlessly? Would the iron from the cars seep into the soil and change the fall colors of the trees? Or would the remnants of our lives poison the earth to the point where it was unihhabitable? Before I could answer those questions, I was startled out of my reverie by the cars zooming by as Connecticut Ave came into view. Sure it was only a few cars (it was Sunday morning after all) but that was all it took. Then down into the bowels of the city for the long trip out to Vienna. As much as I wonder about some of the repercussions of our modern society, it sure is nice to have a clean and timely subway system.

Speaking of clean and timely subway systems, Metro is awesome on Sunday mornings. I checked the WMATA website the night before to see what time I would need to leave home to get to Vienna at 8:30. It told me to catch the 7:38 train at Cleveland Park which pulled into the station the next day at.....7:38. And I got a seat! I never get a seat!

Do strange things ever happen to you about which you do not know what to do? Well, it doesn't happen very often to me, but yesterday, as I was walking towards the north Kiss & Ride in Vienna, I was approached by a, for lack of a better word, hooligan. Some dude, probably about 24 or 25 (my age!) was walking toward me in very baggy and unkempt black clothes and a weird black stocking cap. He was carrying what looked like a Double Gulp from 7-11. As we approached each other, me heading out, him in, I moved slightly to my right so that we didn't collide. You know, what everyone does when they approach an oncoming person. He however, moved to his left, very intentionally blocking my path. At the last second he moved to pass and spit, again very intentionally, right at my feet. It was, well not surreal, but pretty strange and at least two standard deviations away from the mean of normal human relational behavior. How do you react to that? And since we were talking about ethics at church that morning, how do you turn the other cheek? He was gone before I really even realized what happened. And why did he do that? Was there something about how I looked that made him dislike me? Was it my stylish leather jacket that I paid nothing for and wear because it's warm? Or do I carry an air of smugness about myself that I don't realize? Or does he just like to flirt with the borders of proper behavior and see how people react? Maybe he's a grad student doing research? Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I didn't get mad, I just got confused.


Also, does anyone need $10? While wandering around the Vienna station, waiting for Dee to pick me up, I set out to find the south Kiss & Ride. If, upon exiting the station on the south side, you turn immediately left, there it is. Not knowing this, however, I turned right and followed the road around towards the parking garage past the end of the sidewalk. Not knowing where to go from there, I turned around and promptly found a ten-dollar bill lying on the road. A road down which no one had driven for at least the last 5 minutes. Was I meant to find that money? It sure felt like it. Maybe I'm still destined to find a good use for it, or someone that needs it more than me that I can give it to. We'll see.

For those of you that read this and don't go to my church, the following anecdote should tell you a lot about what we as a church are about. Yesterday we began a new Open Mic time at the beginning of our service. The main idea is to give people something they don't want to miss so they arrive approximately on time. For the first "act" my friend Mike and I did a poetical rendition of Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. I hear it was pretty good (Pete, I definitely want to know if we got recorded or not!). After church, we discussed the possibility of doing something similar in the future and Mike (stage name: Mike Check) suggested that I need a stage name. He came up with "The Snake," probably a reference to my snake-themed "comics" that I post here. I've decided, however, that I don't like that name. Too many negative connotations. So here's my new stage name: The Snackmaster. I like the evocations of musicopoetical crunchy goodness and the relationship to a popular line of food dehydrators. Plus it keeps the strong unvoiced alveolar stop that lends a bit of rhythm to our name: Mike Check and The Snackmaster. That is, in two words, Awe Some.

And now, I'll end this loquacious post with a question: Last night I was talking to my mother on the phone (what a good son, huh?) and I told her that Maggie and I had recently joined the Design Team at our church, unqualified as we are. And she of course asked what that team does and I explained that we plan the services. Then, she asked if we plan good bible teaching. Uhhhh, I don't know how to respond to that! If you don't know, "Good Bible Teaching" is like a brandname for "guy (must be a guy, no chicks allowed) standing up and going through a Bible Passage so that the congregation can learn what it means." I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that, but it's really not what we do. However, I do think we follow what should be called good bible teaching (non-registered trademark) in that I think it's good, we look at the bible and I at least usually learn something. But it's definitely not "Good Bible Teaching©®TM" So, how should I respond to her question? Last night I just changed the subject, but I'm afraid some day she'll come out here to visit and go to one of our church services and be convinced that we've revoked our faith.

10 comments:

Maggie said...

How about you combine the names and be the snakemaster. It's cool, doesn't have the negative connotations and implies that you have some sort of Potteresque control over snakes. Also, you weren't supposed to give away the secret about the real reason for open-mic time.

Sonja Andrews said...

Yeah ... you know you could be banned now.

About your mom ... does she read your blog? Ask Dee what she tells her mom. That might give you a good starting place. Or not. You could tell her that we're not as concerned with Good Bible Teaching as we are with changing people's hearts and giving them the space to learn to follow Jesus. We make sure that our teaching is in line with solid Biblical scholarship when it happens, but we're really more concerned with community and relationships and how people are turning their lives toward Christ on a daily basis than with weekly teaching. Ross likes to tell our fundamentalist friends that we "unwrap" the Scriptures; that we're able to be more intimate with them because we're not constrained by the large issues face by a larger church in a more traditional building. FWIW ...

Sonja Andrews said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike Stavlund said...

I absolutely love this post. So there.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who imagines post-apocalyptic street scenes. I used to love to run on Klingle Road, which is right by you. A city street which was closed and just left to seed. Tree limbs everywhere, streams eroding the road surface, weeds and flowers and vines and all manner of organic chaos. But then they closed the gap in the fence so that no one could visit.

Love the stage name. But now you're raising the bar. Should I spell the last name 'Cheque'? or invent some symbol?

Keep changing the subject with your mother. I think that's best.

WMS said...

hahaha... I have to agree with Mike on the "subject change." Since your mom sounds like my grandma and almost my entire family back in semi-pseudo-community back in Seattle, I can vouch for something... unless your mom is on a search for that "something that's missing" she's probably going to be threatened because the evangelical ghetto background trains you in apologetics and the defense of your "special knowledge" of Christianity. And she may have some of that... but when we are taught we believe at the risk of going to hell for "thinking freely" (a threatening subtext in many churches I've attended) we always have a fear that those closest to us may "lose the faith" and we won't see them in heaven... I think Brian McLaren really has that right in "A New Kind of Christian." It becomes more about assurance of eternal soul safety than giving yourself to God without coersion and fear.

Maybe none of that has to do with your mom. But it sure has to do with a thousand of my charismatic church friends from the past 20 years. And their "Good Bible Teaching" question comes to me regularly. I do what Mike said (change the subject) because they aren't asking, they're telling, aren't they.

Sonja Andrews said...

Dang ... And to think I felt bad because here is how I was going to end my comment, and then changed it because I thought it was too harsh:

"Or keep changing the subject, because in the long run most people think what they want to think regardless of what we tell them."

But ... really ... I don't think you can keep continuing to change the subject. Because in the long run that's not being entirely honest about who you are. I'm not saying you have to slap her in the face with it, because that's not loving either. But there is a middle ground somewhere and I'm confident that you'll find it. That's what we're all here for anyway.

kate said...

Dangit, Mike! You stole (okay, got there first) my comment about Klingle. It's really fascinating, Schuyler -- you can still see it if you walk across that eerily deep bridge part of Connecticut Ave. between the zoo and Cleveland Park. It's an awesome display of how fast nature takes back its own. (Mike, are some still campaigning to re-open that arterial? When I lived there, seems like most lawns carried a for or against placard regarding that concept.
Schuyler, you might hate (or love!) to hear this, but you appear TOTALLY a product of The System. That guy you met at Vienna was an asshole (and I'm hoping it was he who dropped the $10), and he was showing you, The Man, how he felt about your part in The System. That's what I love about you -- you're so subversive! No one would know by glancing at you what sort of sense of humor and social criticism you have. It's like wearing a disguise every single day, but in a good way...
And, tell your mom, yes, we do great studying of the Bible. Then dodge and deflect all other questions.
I am so bummed that I missed Sunday... Thanks for letting me in on the secret. Heh heh. We need some motivation to get there earlier! I'm not sure I have yet.

[REDACTED] said...

Yeah, I've come to accept the fact that I am like, the definition of the System. But I've also decided that I don't care. That's life and I try not to let my identity be wrapped up in that. I don't know if it always comes across though.

[REDACTED] said...

Also, if anyone thinks that they aren't a product of the system, well, they're wrong.

kate said...

Great point. If you don't think you're a part of it, then you're reacting to it, and thus a product.
I was pondering last night whether being called a f***head or being spit at (sort of) was worse. I really can't decide.