Saturday, September 08, 2007

You Are Not My Typewriter

Okay, here's a question for you. Why had I never listened to The Long Winters before? I mean, sheesh, somebody could have told me that I would like them. They are totally right up my insufferable white person, blogging, thinks-he's-too-cool-for-most-things alley! You can even tell all this just by looking at the cover of the album that I stole out of my sister-in-law's former basement bedroom last week. She obviously doesn't need it any more if she didn't take it to San Francisco for college. Probably because, in SF, you're required to act like you're not one of those insufferable people, that you're actually better than them, while actually being one. I can't wait to move there. I would fit right in.

Also, since I've got nothing better to do, here's another list of books that I've read in the last couple weeks.


  1. The Road by Cormac McCarthy - Probably one of the most bleak books I've ever read. I think it might be allegorical or something. Even if it's not, it's still a very interesting book. It's one of those post-apocalyptic books that's not really a story about the post-apocalypse era. Nothing is ever explained other than that the Man and Boy have to keep walking and walking because everything has been destroyed. Also it rains a lot. Also, cannibalism.


  2. The Devil's Larder by Jim Crace - You wouldn't think that a book of 64 short (some very, very short, as in 2 words short) stories all about food could be very interesting, but it is. To be fair, the stories aren't really about food, per se, but it does play heavily in all the stories. Also, pathos, love, irony, sex, death, poop, poison, comedy and drugs.


  3. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - Huh, turns out I'm probably a Beta, possibly a Beta-plus. If you haven't read the book, that means that I'm born to be a consumer who doesn't like to fix anything and would rather buy it new and who also dislikes the actual country but loves country sports. That way, I buy lots of sporting equipment to use in the country and thus consume more. Spending is better than mending. Also, it's a very funny book. Also herds of midgets and vomiting.


  4. 1984 by Erich Blair aka George Orwell - You want a picture of the future? Picture a boot stomping on a human face forever. F'n Big Brother, man. He sucks. Also, I love Big Brother.


  5. Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut - Nothing to say, really, but that this is a collection of short stories. Some are good (The Euphio Question), some are really good (Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow), and some are not so good (I don't remember what they were called). Also, the Handicapper General shoots people with shotguns.



  6. One more thing, to save you time next time I write a list of books that I've read recently you can check the list below of books in my quick trick book stack to see if you're at all interested. Just so you know.

    The Quick Trick Book Stack (to be read in no particular order)

    • The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

    • The Population Bomb by Paul Erlich

    • A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

    • Raising Cain by Dan Kindlon and Michael Thompson

    • Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

    • The Final Solution by Michael Chabon

    • The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro

    • Narcissus and Goldmund by Herman Hesse

    • The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco

    • Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad


    • Any more suggestions? Once winter starts next month, there is literally nothing to do but read.

6 comments:

Mike Stavlund said...

When winter starts, you might consider cross-country skiing. Or perhaps blogging.

Shel.F. said...

Persuasion Nation by George Saunders. It's...it's...just trust me, OK?

Anonymous said...

You will possibly hate Zinn's History of the US ... just a heads up.

[REDACTED] said...

Well, I'm pretty much prepared to hate any given book on the list (By the way, Shel.F, that Saunders book is now on the list, thanks).

But why do you think I will possibly hate Zinn's book? There has to be a reason, right??

Anonymous said...

Because he's a leftist who writes inflammatory statements without properly backing them up with statistics and data.

[REDACTED] said...

Hm. I'm not sure what him being a leftist has to do with it. Besides, I went in knowing that anyway. Through the first three chapters at least he has used the data that is available to a historian, so I guess I'll see if that changes.